Saturday, June 21, 2014

10 Tempting Side Dishes to Dress up any Meal...

As my husband and daughter can be quite plain in their food favourites, there are some nights the only way I can turn a simple dish into something a little more delicious is through the side dishes.

One of my personal favourites is a very quick and simple Brussel Sprout dish. Yes, I know, so many people hate the dreaded Brussel Sprout, but done with something a little different they can be just delicious. This idea is so easy and quick to do it is one I do alot. 

I cut my sprouts in half and quickly cook for a minute in boiling water. Yes, I cheat and use the microwave, it’s quicker. I want the sprouts to start cooking but still be nice and firm.

Then I stir-fry the sprouts in butter with garlic, chilli and bacon. Simple, delicious and even better, fast.


Here are a few other simple but delicious side dishes I have tried to give me a bit more freedom to dress up my husband and daughters favourite simple meals.

Potatoes are a staple in our house and my husband and daughter complain loudly if I skip this particular vegetable off our menu and I get a little sick of mashed potato all the time. Hasselback Potatoes and Spicy Potato wedges are a great way to add a little interest but still quick and easy to do even on the busiest night.

Corn, Carrots and Sweet Potato are the only other non green veggies I can usually convince my family to try and these recipes have the thumbs up from them every time from the Chipotle Lime Corn on the Cob which is my daughter's favourite, the Spicy braised carrots that are a regular in our house, some days I keep it even simpler and just add a splash of butter and honey in the carrots and then my husband's favourite is the Sweet Potato + Jalapeno Mash which I love too.

Next are the greens, my favourite is the sprouts above, but zucchini is a close second for me and this recipe for Parmesan Lime Zucchini is very tasty and my daughter loves anything with bacon so the Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus goes down a treat (although I do have to tell her that the prosciutto is bacon to keep her from turning her nose up at it, go figure, kids huh!) 

Then there are a few little extras that I love, including Baked Sweet Onions, which is the perfect side to have with a a roast or slow cooked pork belly, which is a big winner in our house. 

I had to include at least one summer side dish, my focus at the moment tends to be on hot meals due to the cooler weather settling in, but during summer Creamy Pasta Salad is a big favourite in our household. 

Have any great vegetable side dishes that are a favourite in your home, share your recipe in comments so we can all try something new this season.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment